Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Dr. Seuss

This week, my students and I celebrated Read Across America with Dr. Seuss week. It was an exciting week, full of hands on learning that my kids loved! My coteachers think I am crazy doing all of these activities with my students, but I wouldn't have it any other way! One day, I swear I am going to rub off on them! It's a work in progress though. 

Monday, we celebrated Dr. Seuss week by reading aloud The Cat in the Hat. My students knew this was coming because I came dressed as Thing 2! All day they asked when we were going to read the book, so when it was time, they were so excited! My students were familiar with this story but sat so attentively to see what the Cat and Thing One or Thing Two were going to do next. After reading, the kids came up with ideas of what they would do if Thing One and Thing 2 came to their house. Their responses were fantastic, and we used the writing prompt from Seusstastic@blogspot.com to write down our responses. We even made a hand print Thing One or Thing Two. 

After they finished their writing, my students made their very own hat like the Cat in the Hat and had whiskers and cat noses painted on their faces.  We ended the day snacking on goldfish while reading One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish.

Tuesday was all about Fox in Socks! The students got to wear their craziest pair of socks and go shoeless in the classroom. You would have thought they had been given a million bucks based off of how excited they were. For Christmas, my sister bought me a pair or fuzzy socks that look like a fox so, this teacher rocked those in her classroom. 
After showing off our crazy socks all day. the students designed their own crazy socks and wrote all about them.
This sweetie is ready for spring. I can't blame her!


Of course my little hunter made a deer sock. Priceless! 

Wednesdays are crazy for this teacher with all of the extra activities we go to so this day was spent reading Hop on Pop and eating popcorn. 
Next year however, my class will be celebrating Wacky Wednesday! I just purchased this book, and I am so looking forward to a crazy day! 

Thursday, we were out for an ice day, so Friday was spent doubling up on activities. First, we read Green Eggs and Ham and then made it. and ate it! 





Green Eggs don't look very appetizing to me!

Once the eggs were on the griddle and the students were watching me cook, I overhead one of my students telling her friend how that the liquid changed to a solid. I love when past learning comes into conversations with new learning! Definitely blessed this teacher's heart! After waiting and smelling and giggling, the students tasted the green eggs and ham. Only one student didn't like it, so I am calling it a success! Unfortunately, my battery died, so very few pictures were taken of the kids eating. :(



We then wrapped up our Seusstastic week, by reading Bartholomew and the Oobleck. Not one of my students had ever heard this story, so they were entranced, waiting and listening to see what would happen next. Of course after reading the book, you have to make Oobleck. In the past I have done the whole cornstarch, food coloring, and water mixture, but it always makes a huge mess. So this year, I opted to do a green slime instead. The recipe calls for 1/3 a cup of liquid starch, green food coloring, and 1/3 cup of Elmer's glue. This recipe was a hit! Hardly any mess at all, and the students could take it home and play with it! All you have to do is pour the 1/3 cup of liquid starch into a baggie with a few drops of food coloring and squish together with your hands. Then add the 1/3 cup of Elmer's glue and squish until incorporated. Then play! My students were coming up with ways to stick their parents and siblings to stuff with the Oobleck, so beware! 
This firstie talked about how his Oobleck looked like an egg. I hope he doesn't try to eat it! 


The end of this week was filled with moans and groans about going home, and students undecided about what their favorite part was. I was exhausted, but now I am ready for the next unit of study, maps. 

6 comments:

  1. I have been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts in this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this web site. Reading this information So i¡¦m glad to show that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I such a lot indubitably will make certain to don¡¦t forget this web site and give it a look a relentless basis. best Movies of 2018

    ReplyDelete
  2. Download latest us independence day wallpapers here US INDEPENDENCE DAY WALLPAPERS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, checkout our latest posts on us independence day US Independence day quotes

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://independencedayusa4thofjuly.com/us-independence-day-celebration-at-school-66/
    http://independencedayusa4thofjuly.com/us-independence-day-celebration-at-school-9th-grade/

    http://independencedayusa4thofjuly.com/most-us-independence-day-celebration-at-schools/
    http://independencedayusa4thofjuly.com/top-us-independence-day-celebration-at-schools/

    http://independencedayusa4thofjuly.com/how-are-us-independence-day-celebration-at-schools/
    http://independencedayusa4thofjuly.com/when-can-us-independence-day-celebration-at-schools/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting website, i read it but i still have a few questions. shoot me an email and we will talk more becasue i may have an interesting idea for you. happy grandparents day quotes

    ReplyDelete
  6. some genuinely choice content on this internet site , saved to my bookmarks . National Grandparents Day Quotes Tom Cruise Wife

    ReplyDelete